Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Birthday in New York

I spent my 24th Birthday in New York this year. In the company of the lovely Tim.

We had an absolutely brilliant time. We met each other at Newark airport. I flew in from Calgary and Tim from Chicago on the Thursday evening.


Tim had organised a lovely hotel just off Broadway and between Times Square and Central Park. The whole thing was utterly serial and completely met my expectations. At times I felt like I was walking around a movie set haven seen most of the sights a thousand times on the TV. Amazing.

It was lovely and warm in NYC, and we spent my actual birthday having a great picnic in Central Park. We wandered around for hours and only covered a tiny part of the park! We also headed to the Central Park Zoo. Unfortunatly didn't bump into any of the animals from the Madagascar movie. But then I guess thats because they're still there...

We then walked down 5th Ave, where I drooled at the shops. Headed to the Rockefellor Centre and up to the Top of The Rock. Amazing views. Then out for a nice dinner.

The Next day saw us visiting Grand Central Station, the New York Public Library and then heading to a Broadway Show. We went to see Avenue Q. Highly recommend everyone to go and see. Hilarious. Followed by dinner at a lovely Seafood resturant where I had the obligatory Cosmopolitan cocktail, and then a nice walk up around the area.

We headed to more of the southern Manahatten areas on the Sunday. Took a trip out to Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty, quite an overwhelming thing to see that close up, and then Ellis Island. Provided some amazing views of Manhatten and the Hudson River. We then walked up towards ground zero. Very eerie area, we wanted to walk round it to just gage the sheer scale of what was left behind, not somewhere you want to linger though, very sad. Then onto to Wall St and the City Hall and along the Brooklyn Bridge

Then came the incredible Megu. An upmarket sushi resturant that my Lonely Planet had suggested. Quite an amazing experience. Incredible atmosphere and insides, and the sushi was pretty amazing.... probably shouldn't of ordered the wine size bottle of Sake for the two of us though!

On Monday we attempted to head home. Spent a LONG time in Newark airport as our flight to Chicago had been cancelled. 5 hours later I was on my way home to Calgary via Toronto and Tim caught the second flight out that left for Chicago.

A weekend I will remember forever.

No comments: