Monday, July 6, 2009

UK Trip July '09 - Part 1

Tim and I charged over to the UK for a whirlwind week long holiday. In the space of 11 days I managed to touch down in Chicago, London, Devon, Belfast, back to Devon, back to London, back to Chicago and then finally today back to Calgary. Needless to see I think we are both slightly in need of a holiday to recover from our holiday, and jet lag is always fun, but a great time was had for sure.

I was thinking how to write this blog, I think that as we were so busy it would be easiest to write it day by day so here goes...

Friday
Fly to Chicago from Calgary and get on the plane to London. This part of the trip was surprisingly easy, they checked my bag straight through to London, the transfer between terminals at Chicago wasn't too painful and immigration let me through fine. Always a win!
Tim came and joined me at O'Hare terminal 5 once he'd finished work. This terminal by the way is absolutely rubbish. For one of the busiest airports in the world there aren't a huge amount in international flights leaving, so there's just a small food court and that's its. Although, in my excitement of seeing Tim for the first time in 2 weeks and the prospect of being able to spend a whole week with him I proceeded to spill my gin and tonic all over my (thankfully closed) laptop and the table and the seats.

We then hopped on the overnight flight to LHR. Have to say it's nice have a lovely boyfriend to cuddle and fall asleep on the whole way home. Don't suppose he appreciated it too much though!

Saturday
We are met by my Mum at the airport around lunchtime and then head off on the 3 1/2 hour drive back down to Devon. Have to say though that when I stepped off the plane I thought maybe we were in the wrong country. Hot and sunny and humid isn't the weather that I remember from when I left the UK 6 months ago...

Once we're back in Devon I show Tim around our family home, more often than not resembling a zoo. A chaos of family members, animals etc. There were Tim and I, my younger brother Mike, my mum and her partner Ken, Ken's heavily pregnant daughter-in-law Sarah and her daughter, the energizer bunny fueled 6 year old, that is Ebbie, our dog Molly, our crazy cats Jinx and Joshua, my goldfish, chickens.... I *think* that's about it at the moment. Takes a bit of getting used to being surrounded by that many people when being used to living on your own, but all part of the fun I guess.

Not doing too badly on the jet lag front in this direction, Tim and Mike and I head down to our local in the nearest village, the wonderful place that is The Bell. You can pretty much guarantee that you can walk in and know at least 1 person in there. It's great that I can wander in having been away for 6 months and everyone is just happy to see you. Of course I came across an old maths teachers, my mum's friend from school, my friends mum.... and we got invited to a pig roast next weekend. Good times. Also possibly the cheapest pub in the universe. Where else can you get a round of drinks for 8 people for 12 pounds. No where.



Sunday
Today we mobilized the small army that we are in the house and added my step brother Guy and his girlfriend Fi into the mix, and headed down to the beaches. In classic England style it was pouring with rain, but we trekked on like proper British people, walking along the beach, Croyde Bay, playing a small game of French Cricket (I have no idea), chucking a Frisbee around and then headed to The Thatch pub. Which as usual was the place where everyone was hiding from the rian so we sat outside underneath some hung up umbrellas and drank pints.

Next up was fish and chips in Braunton at Squires. Best fish and chips for miles and miles around I would say - although I may be biased - had been craving it pretty much since I left Devon in January. Although as there were so many of us we ate in the restaurant on proper plates instead of out of paper with a plastic fork, never quite the same but awesome none the less.



Monday
Tim and I left for Exeter Airport (where I spent an unusually large proportion of my childhood) and jumped on a plane for the short flight up to Belfast City. We lucky to again have gorgeous weather for our very short trip. I went to university in Belfast and was on a mission to catch up with my uni friends whilst I was back. We stayed at Malmaison hotel which was lovely. We met up with Danielle early afternoon at the City Hall and then went on the City Bus Tour, in an attempt to show Tim as much as possible in as little time as we had. I first went on this same bus tour when I first arrived in Belfast in 2004 and the difference in the city and the attitudes in the city went round were quite astonishing. It was a nice thing to see.


We then met up with my other uni friends, PG, his girlfriend Rozzie, Barton, George and Quail in the Apartment, one of my favourite cocktail bars looking over the City Hall. Had a nice dinner and followed by drinks in a few of the Belfast bars, ending in my former workplace Benedicts, for some live music, and too many shots for Anne to be able to handle. Say no more. Was really lovely to see this lot again. And I really enjoyed showing Tim around this part of my life.

To be continued....

No comments: