Saturday, April 17, 2010

Norah Jones Concert

I got to see Norah Jones in concert at the iconic Chicago Theatre last month.

I wasn't sure what to expect, and was worried that as her music is quite downbeat it would be hard to sit and watch it for a couple of hours, but I really enjoyed it. Tim fell asleep, granted, but we had just had a lovely dinner at Cibo Matto and a few glasses of wine.

It was amazing to see someone who's music I have listened to and played for such a long time. From what I've read she has had quite a transformation in her performing style. Supposedly when she first started performing years ago she just hid behind the piano and didn't say much. Now, however she was up and about the stage, playing a guitar and singing. She seemed to have a real sense of humour and lots of banter with the audience. She also had some very nice shoes...and a truly gorgeous voice.

The Chicago Theatre is amazing inside. Giant chandeliers, red velvet everywhere. I felt as if I had gone back to another era and should have an evening gown on and be dripping in diamonds, perhaps with one of those long cigarette holders. The seating is very high and steep so you get a great view from everywhere, a great intimate feel for a concert venue.

No comments: